Global Student Outreach
Global Student Outreach – Helping Others
Part of our mission is to develop well-educated young people who are dedicated to modeling the Gospel message and becoming active, vital members of the church and community. Helping those in need is a significant part of life at St. Thomas More Catholic School. Here are some of the ways our students help others:
Primary and Intermediate students participated in:
- An Advent project in conjunction with Catholic Charities — Chest of Drawers Project (students collected a chest of drawers and filled it with items to help furnish an apartment for immigrant families. The items were for children of this age group. Grades 3-5 purchased items for kitchens and bathrooms for these apartments). Read a thank you letter to STM from Catholic Charities.
- Made and sold trail mix to raise money for the Advent service project (third grade classes)
- Made cards for area Veterans.
- Communicate with Sergeant Calmes in Afghanistan (first grade class – 1V).
- The American Heart Association’s Jump Rope for Heartfundraiser.
- Made cards for children in Kenya (Adults took them on the adult mission trip)
- Created angel banners for seriously ill people in our class community
- The Pennies for Patients — raised money for childhood cancer research.
- Added links of kindness to the Kindness Chain as part of the Rachel’s Challengeevent sponsored by 11Alive.
- Made thank you cards for parishioners for Catholic Schools Week, thanking them for their prayers and support of the school.
- Wrote wrote letters to “Santa” and mailed them to Macy’s Department Store. For every letter Macy’s received, they donated $1 to the Children’s Make-a-Wish Foundation (fifth grade classes)
- Collected food for Thanksgiving food drive
Middle School students participated in (many in conjunction with the STM Church EDGE youth group):
- A street clean-up on Memorial Drive
- The Our House birthday celebration
- The L’Arche House
- A senior citizens potluck
- Shopping for Operation Shoebox
- A PURE fashion show
- The Project Open Hand
- A Martin Luther King, Jr. work day
- A 30 Hour Famine
- St. Francis’ Table
- The STM Gardening Angels
STM school-wide Outreach Projects
- Veterans Day Assembly honoring over 40 veterans with the release of balloons and the honoring of our flag.
- Advent Project to collect baby supplies, materials, etc.
- Pennies for Patients: 8th Grade led service project that raised $1600 for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society
- Lenten Service Project Rice Bowls to raise money for Catholic Charities
- Letters to Kenya to children suffering from the famine
- Christmas letters to Children’s Hospital
- Jump Rope for Heart